In a rapidly evolving digital landscape, where security, privacy, and user control over personal data have become paramount, the adoption of Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) and Decentralized Identity (DID) solutions is on the rise. At TALAO, we are at the forefront of this revolution, committed to providing open-source, secure, interoperable, and compliant digital identity wallets.
1. Developing digital identity wallets on Open Standards
At Talao, our commitment to building secure and reliable digital identity wallets goes hand in hand with our dedication to open standards. But what exactly do we mean by "open standards," and why is it essential for our clients?
Open standards are a set of rules and specifications for the design and development of technology. What sets them apart is that they are not crafted behind closed doors by private organizations or companies. Instead, they are collaboratively created and maintained by a community of experts and stakeholders. Here's why this matters:
- Transparency: Open standards are developed in the open, with contributions from a diverse group of experts. This transparency ensures that the rules governing our digital identity wallets are not shrouded in secrecy. Clients can have full visibility into how their data is handled and secured.
- Neutrality: Open standards are not tied to any specific vendor or organization. This means that clients are not locked into a proprietary ecosystem. They have the freedom to choose the solutions and services that best fit their needs.
- Interoperability: When everyone adheres to the same open standards, it promotes interoperability. Our digital identity wallets can seamlessly work with other systems and services that also follow these standards. Clients can avoid the hassle of dealing with siloed, incompatible technologies.
- Longevity: Open standards have a history of longevity. They are not subject to the whims of a single company or entity. This means that clients can rely on our digital identity solutions for the long term, knowing that they won't face abrupt changes or discontinuations.
In summary, our commitment to open standards ensures that our clients have access to transparent, vendor-neutral, interoperable, and reliable digital identity solutions.
2. Open-Source code: Trust through transparency
In addition to open standards, another pillar of trust at Talao is our use of open-source code. We don't just talk about security and transparency; we demonstrate it through our actions. Here's why our open-source approach is vital for our clients:
- Transparency: Open-source code is like a window into our digital identity wallet's inner workings. Clients and the wider community can review the code to ensure it aligns with our security and privacy claims. This transparency fosters trust.
- Collaboration: Open source thrives on collaboration. A global community of developers and experts can contribute to improving and securing our codebase. This collective effort strengthens our digital identity solutions over time.
- Code audits: Our commitment to open source goes hand in hand with regular code audits. These audits, conducted by independent experts, provide an additional layer of security validation. Clients can be confident that our solutions undergo rigorous scrutiny.
- Customization: Open-source code empowers clients with the ability to customize and tailor our digital identity wallets to their specific needs. This level of control is invaluable in today's dynamic digital landscape.
Our open-source approach ensures that clients have full transparency, community-driven collaboration, rigorous security audits, and the flexibility to adapt our solutions to their unique requirements. It's all part of our commitment to delivering the most trusted digital identity wallets in the industry.
3. Our technology stack
Here is the detailed tech stack we use to craft future-proof and interoperable digital identity wallets 👇
3.1 VC/VP Formats: JSON-LD, JWT, and JSON-LD ZKP
Verifiable Credentials (VCs) and Verifiable Presentations (VPs) serve as the backbone of SSI and DID systems. Talao embraces three key formats for VCs and VPs:
- JSON-LD: JSON-LD (JSON for Linked Data) is a flexible and widely-adopted format for expressing structured data. It provides a standard way to serialize Linked Data in JSON, making it a perfect fit for VCs and VPs.
- JWT (JSON Web Tokens): JWTs are compact, self-contained tokens that can be used for securely transmitting information between parties. They are instrumental in achieving the integrity and security of VCs and VPs.
- JSON-LD ZKP (Zero-Knowledge Proof): Zero-Knowledge Proofs enhance privacy and security by allowing one party (the prover) to prove to another party (the verifier) that they know a specific piece of information without revealing the information itself. This is especially crucial in scenarios where privacy is paramount.
3.2 Protocols: OIDC4VCI, OIDC4VP, SIOPV2, Presentation Exchange
To ensure seamless and secure winteractions between users, relying parties, and identity providers, Talao employs a range of protocols:
- OIDC4VCI (OpenID Connect for Verifiable Credential Issuance): OIDC4VCI facilitates the issuance of Verifiable Credentials, including features like pre-authorized code flow, user PIN, authorization code flow, and deferred endpoint. This protocol streamlines the process of receiving and verifying VCs, enhancing the user experience.
- OIDC4VP (OpenID Connect for Verifiable Presentation): OIDC4VP extends OpenID Connect to handle Verifiable Presentations, further enhancing the trust and security of digital interactions.
- SIOPV2 (Self-Issued OpenID Provider v2): SIOPV2, the latest draft of the Self-Issued OpenID Provider protocol, enables secure and privacy-preserving interactions between parties in the SSI ecosystem.
- Presentation Exchange: In our pursuit of future-proof digital identity solutions, we harness the power of Presentation Exchange—a dynamic protocol that not only empowers users with precise data control but also defines and facilitates the exchange of requirements and formats for verifiable presentations. This user-centric approach enhances privacy and security, seamlessly integrating with key identity protocols like OIDC4VC, and plays a pivotal role in shaping the verifiable credential ecosystem.
3.3 Supported DID Methods
Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) are a cornerstone of SSI and DID ecosystems. DIDs provide a way to create and manage digital identities that are fully under the control of the identity owner. Talao supports a variety of DID methods, each tailored to specific use cases and blockchain ecosystems:
- did:key and did:jwk : DID methods based on cryptographic keys, offering simplicity and security.
- did:web: Leveraging the web for DID management and resolution.
- did:ion: Integrating with the ION decentralized identifier network.
- did:hedera: Connecting with the Hedera network for identity management.
- did:tz: Enabling DIDs on the Tezos blockchain.
- did:pkh: A method for DIDs based on public key hashes.
- did:ebsi: Complying with the European Blockchain Services Infrastructure (EBSI).
- did:polygonid: Connecting to the Polygon blockchain for identity management.
3.4 OIDC4VC Profiles: EBSI-V3 and GAIA-X
Talao's commitment to compliance and open standards extends to OIDC4VC profiles, including the EBSI-V3 and GAIA-X profiles. These profiles ensure seamless integration with European standards and initiatives, fostering trust and interoperability in the European digital identity landscape.
3.5 PolygonId Iden3 Protocol
The Polygon network has emerged as a prominent ecosystem in the blockchain space. Talao's adoption of the PolygonId Iden3 Protocol ensures compatibility with Polygon, offering users the flexibility to engage with this blockchain seamlessly.
👉 If you are interested, you can read more about the integration of PolygonID into the Altme wallet.
3.6 DIF Presentation Exchange v2.0
The Decentralized Identity Foundation (DIF) plays a pivotal role in shaping the standards and protocols of the SSI ecosystem. Talao's integration of DIF Presentation Exchange v2.0 underscores our commitment to following and contributing to industry best practices.
4. Why we choose these technologies ?
Our selection of these technologies is not arbitrary but driven by fundamental principles that underpin the success of our digital identity solutions:
- Interoperability: We prioritize interoperability by leveraging JSON-LD, JWT, and JSON-LD ZKP formats for Verifiable Credentials (VCs) and Verifiable Presentations (VPs). This choice ensures seamless communication and verification of information across diverse parties and systems, paving the way for broader SSI and DID adoption, while adhering to open standards.
- Security: Security is our top priority. We reinforce the integrity and confidentiality of VCs and VPs by incorporating JWTs and JSON-LD ZKPs, utilizing state-of-the-art cryptographic techniques. Your sensitive data remains secure and tamper-proof. Our commitment to open source also allows the wider community to scrutinize our code for security.
- User-centricity: We place users at the center of our design philosophy. Protocols like OIDC4VCI and OIDC4VP simplify the issuance and presentation of VCs, enhancing convenience while upholding rigorous security standards. Your digital experience is streamlined for maximum user-friendliness.
- Privacy: Preserving user privacy is paramount. SIOPV2 and Zero-Knowledge Proofs (ZKPs) play a pivotal role in this regard. They empower you to share only the necessary information, safeguarding your privacy and ensuring compliance with data protection regulations.
- Ecosystem compatibility: We recognize the diversity of blockchain ecosystems. By supporting various DID methods such as Tezos, Hedera, and the Polygon network, our technology stack provides flexibility, allowing you to choose the identity management solution that aligns best with your specific needs.
- Compliance: Compliance is a cornerstone of our approach. Integration of OIDC4VC profiles like EBSI-V3 and GAIA-X ensures alignment with European standards and initiatives. This commitment fosters trust and reliability, especially in European contexts. Regular code audits further validate the security of our open-source code, ensuring transparency and reliability.
- Continuous innovation: At TALAO, we are dedicated to ongoing improvement and innovation. We continuously evaluate emerging technologies and best practices to ensure that our digital identity solutions remain at the forefront of the industry.
Our technology choices are driven by a commitment to security, user-centricity, privacy, compliance, and the need for seamless interoperability, all while adhering to open standards, open-source principles, and undergoing rigorous code audits to maintain transparency and trust. These principles, combined with our commitment to innovation, guide us as we forge the future of digital identity solutions and wallets.
5. TALAO's Developer Mode: Empowering DID Developers even beyond 🚀
In addition to its robust and secure infrastructure, TALAO also offers a comprehensive Developer Mode for its DID wallets : Altme and Talao.
👉 Here is everything you need to know : https://talao.io/blog/talao-launches-developer-mode-for-digital-identity-wallet-a-major-step-forward-for-the-did-community
This mode provides developers with a suite of powerful tools to create and test new DID applications while adhering to the latest industry standards.
With Developer Mode, developers can for example :
- Decrypt QR code data
- Access issuer configurations
- Explore Verifiable Credentials in depth
- Analyze error messages
- Configure advanced settings
- Monitor wallet endpoints
- And more !
These functionalities empower developers to gain a profound understanding of the Altme and Talao wallets' inner workings, tailor the wallets to meet their specific requirements, and thoroughly test their applications, paving the way for new advanced DID solutions.
TALAO's unwavering dedication to supporting the DID community is evident in its commitment to providing developers with the tools they need to innovate.
Developer Mode marks a significant milestone in this endeavor.
Our choice of technology stack reflects our unwavering commitment to providing state-of-the-art digital identity solutions. We believe that the future of digital identity lies in SSI and DID, and our technology stack empowers users and organizations to embrace this future with confidence, knowing that their data is secure, private, and interoperable.
Join us in reimagining digital identity, and together, we can build a more secure, user-centric, and connected digital world.
👉 Ready to explore the potential of SSI / DID and create your own digital identity wallet ? Contact us to learn how Talao's tech stack can benefit your project: [email protected]